Carmelite Seculars are a family of lay and religious men and women, sons and daughters of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Teresa of Jesus, who share the same charism, each according to our particular state of life. It is one family with the same spiritual possessions, the same call to holiness (cf. Ep 1:4; 1 P 1:15) and the same apostolic mission. Secular members contribute to the Order the benefits proper to their secular state of life. (Constitutions #1)
Our Commitments and Obligations
- Attendance at Mass, daily if possible.
- Daily recitation of Morning and Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Recitation of Night Prayer each evening, if possible.
- Spend 30 minutes each day in the practice of mental prayer.
- Practices daily devotion to Mary, Our Blessed Mother and wears the brown scapular.
- Attend monthly community meetings to receive initial and ongoing Teresian Carmelite Formation.
- Besides the days of fasting prescribed by the Church, we fast on the Vigils of the following feast days:
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, July 16th
- Our Holy Mother Teresa of Jesus, October 15th
- Our Holy Father John of the Cross, December 14th
- The Prophet Elijah, July 20th
- All the Saints of the Order, November 14th
Molly Diaz OCDS
|Central Director of Formation
Leslie Blair OCDS